the reader in a quiet corner

hi, i'm ceecee. my reading interests can be described as eclectic.

Love and Other Perishable Items - Laura Buzo A 15-year old and a 21-year old? How will that ever work out?

But somehow, Laura Buzo managed to pull off telling a story about a 15 year old girl who falls for her 21 year old coworker, in this novel about first love, growing up, and moving on.

Sometimes I think, I really must be a 15-year old trapped in a 23 year old body. I was able to relate with Amelia maybe because I'm in a certain point in my life like her, and I loved her narrations. You're in love with a guy but you don't know what to do about it? Hey, me, too!

Though the parts with Chris's narration were a bit confusing (I really would have preferred if it was all Amelia's POV), it actually made sense in the end. Final verdict: Chris's narration, not a strong point for me (except for the times he mentions Amelia). Sometimes Chris and Amelia had too similar word choices.

This book just kept getting better and better, though. Buzo interjects these thoughts on feminism and patriarchy, and even on literature through Chris and Amelia, and, it didn't feel contrived at all. (I am thinking about one novel - [b:Graceling|3236307|Graceling (Graceling Realm, #1)|Kristin Cashore|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1331548394s/3236307.jpg|3270810], I'm looking at you! - where the feminist agenda was so blatant and distracting, it set my teeth on edge). I felt like I got out of this novel with a satisfied, giddy heart, and also a little bit wiser.

*4.5 stars It's rare to find a book that leaves you with this peace of mind, a book that leaves you satisfied, especially when it's a book that's already been raved about, and thus gave you high expectations.

Love and Other Perishable Items aka [b:Good Oil|8079815|Good Oil|Laura Buzo|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1298925793s/8079815.jpg|12803237] is a light read (this is the first time this year I've finished a book in a day!), but packs a punch. I'd love to read this again and again.