the reader in a quiet corner

hi, i'm ceecee. my reading interests can be described as eclectic.

Thirteen Reasons Why - Jay Asher [Edit: I couldn't seem to explain everything I wanted to say about this novel with my previous review, so I'm starting again. But then again, I don't think I can ever fully articulate what I feel.]

I read this book because I thought it would understand how a person can just off and kill herself. I know how it is to be depressed, though I've never seriously contemplated killing myself. But I know there are people out there who feel so down, there is no looking up, and sometimes, all we need is to feel like we're not alone.

This book did not sit well with me. I kept reading this book through the end, hoping to find out the real reason Hannah committed suicide. When I came to the end, I was all "That's it?" And I had to internalize what good this novel could possibly do for mankind.

Okay, I get it. "Even our smallest actions can make a big impact on other people."
"Sometimes, it's what you haven't done that's wrong, not what you've done".
The thing is, the novel just didn't impact me, the way it impacted the people who rated this 3 stars or more.

Maybe my problem is Hannah. I cannot imagine doing the things she did and then taking my own life afterwards. No hate note to her parents? Investing all that time making 13 tapes putting blame on other people for why she wants to kill herself? What intense and profound hate she must have for herself to have done these things. But then again, I guess that's what suicide is supposed to be like. Hating yourself so much, you no longer want to live.

The thing is, I am not that kind of girl. I may get sad some times, but a part of me will never give up without a fight. The thought of giving up and leaving behind such grief for the people I love is too much to bear. But, yeah, that's just me. And we're supposed to be talking about Hannah.

So. Hannah. She was whiny and petty. I pretty much agree with Beth here. And Nina.

I do not get it. That pretty much sums up my reactions after reading this book. You just cannot blame other people for their actions, when you didn't even do anything to change yourself or the situations you hate either.

But maybe I'm not the girl to talk about depression or suicide. I'm still baffled over the high ratings most people gave this. All I know is, I wouldn't recommend this book, and I probably won't watch the movie version of this either.