the reader in a quiet corner

hi, i'm ceecee. my reading interests can be described as eclectic.

My Sister's Keeper - Jodi Picoult An incompetent review from a reader plagued by so many feels:

OMFG YOU CANNOT WRITE 400 PAGES OF A NOVEL ABOUT ANNA AND HER WANTING TO LIVE AND GROW UP AND THEN KILL HER OFF IN A TWISTED TURN OF EVENT, OKAY? AND IT'S SO NOT OKAY! WHAT WERE YOU THINKING, JODI?? YOU KEPT MY HOPES UP, HINTING ANNA WOULD GROW UP TO BE AN AMAZING PERSON, AND THEN KILL HER MINUTES AFTERWARDS. I THREW THAT BOOK ACROSS THE ROOM FIGURATIVELY AND I LITERALLY WRESTLED WITH THE BOOK AFTER READING IT. IT'S JUST SO NOT OKAY. YOU'D THINK IT WOULD BE FAIR TO GIVE THE CHARACTERS THEIR HAPPY ENDING AFTER SUCH STRESS AND CONFLICT, BUT NO. YOU HAD TO TAKE THAT AWAY FROM US. I WANT MY HAPPY ENDING. I WANT MY HAPPY ENDING!

A review from a reader after finishing a much needed tantrum, no longer clouded by so many feels:

So I guess Kate got her happy ending. Okay. Nobody ever said life was gonna be fair. Okay. It doesn't mean I'm going to like it. You know, I relate a lot with Anna. Anna is such an engaging character, and primarily the reason I got sucked into this story. So, doing that to her. Ugh. Just, no.

So then, on to the much more serious review:

I'm not really into family drama, or courtroom drama. But I am really into brilliant characterization, and remarkable handling of words. And that's how I got sucked into this book I would never have otherwise picked up. I first read Anna's POV and she just drew me in. "In my first memory, I am three years old and I am trying to kill my sister." And then, "When I was little, the great mystery to me wasn't how babies were made, but why." I mean, how can I not continue reading after that? It was just so plain and honest. It was like a breath of fresh air. Also, I think the interchanging POVs were handled very well. But the ending was overkill.

This book was really well-written and I wouldn't mind reading another Jodi Picoult book in the future.