the reader in a quiet corner

hi, i'm ceecee. my reading interests can be described as eclectic.

Maximum Ride: The Angel Experiment - James Patterson I read this a long time ago, so I only remember how much I didn't like it. The premise was very interesting. It had its potential. But I just didn't like how Patterson wrote this. I knew him to be an author for adult fiction, so I was surprised he wrote a sci-fi fiction for teens. I don't think he pulled it off very well. I don't like first-person POV-narration types, especially if it's in a YA novel. If possible, Max's narration made me like it even less. Max was annoying, I remember that much. You see, Patterson was trying to write from a 16-year old's perspective, and I guess he failed terribly. I could not sympathize or like Max, considering I was a teenager myself when I read this.

It was badly written. And the cover says this is a #1 New York Times Bestseller? Uhm, okay. I read a thread in GR of a 1-star review, and people were defending the awesomeness of this book as if their lives depended on it. Okay, cool. But seriously, if you loved a book, shouldn't you stay away from 1-star reviews? Unless you're prepared to respect their low opinion of a book you love.

It was okay, I guess. Lord knows I've read worse.

Recommendation: If you're looking for a sci-fi teen novel, why go to this dinosaur? There are plenty of cooler and newer books out there.