the reader in a quiet corner

hi, i'm ceecee. my reading interests can be described as eclectic.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower - Stephen Chbosky You can only read so much praise for a book before you're finally tempted to read it. I really wanted to like this book. Based on the numerous quotes and likes it got from Tumblr, it made me think I could relate to it, and eventually love it. Because, hey, I'm a wallflower too! I found it difficult to relate to other people in high school. I had a few but true friends.

Charlie should have been my spirit animal.

Maybe it's bad to expect to like the book. Maybe it's wrong to start a book with high standards. Maybe it's just me.

In any case, I found it be an "okay" book. I found the letter format not working for me. The number of times Charlie cried made me want to strangle him or slap him into consciousness. Look, I don't think it's bad for a person to cry. I think it's healthy. But there's just something about Charlie that was a bit too much.

Browsing through the quote gallery, I remember why I wanted to read it so much. There's so many quotable quotes. They looked so cool (though the number of times Charlie mentions "sad" and "infinite" had me pulling my hairs from sheer vexation). I didn't expect that if you mixed them altogether in the book, it wouldn't be as impressive as when they were just stand-alone quotes.

Overall, I couldn't find it realistic nor relatable, maybe because of the way Charlie wrote it. There were good moments (see added quotes) but in the end, it did not impress me.