the reader in a quiet corner

hi, i'm ceecee. my reading interests can be described as eclectic.

Sophie's World - Jostein Gaarder, Paulette Møller I could recommend this to people who like Philosophy, but then, Philosophy was once my favorite subject, and I didn't like this book. In fact, thanks to this book, I no longer had any interest in philosophy, or philosophizing.

I started out expecting to like it. After all, it's about philosophy! And I do love mulling over the purpose of life, and being awed at how we exist and think at all. I didn't know this book is going to be a long-winded discussion of different types of philosophies and the people who pioneered this theory and that. It certainly was interesting, to an extent. In fact, the beginning was really good, and then towards the middle, it went downhill. I must confess, I was down to the last 50 or so pages, and I couldn't bring myself to finish it. I read that in the ending, Sophie realizes she's a fictional character, so I couldn't have changed my opinion of the book based on its ending.

In the end, all I grasped was, these were men who argued that their theory was more plausible than that other theory, blah blah blah. It's all pretty muddled, actually, since I read this a long time ago, and also I no longer cared about these philosophers and their theories.

Who cares what you think life is, or what it's about? Whether you support Nietzche, or Hobbes, or Machiavelli? It's how you live your life that matters. Is there any merit in pondering more, of making even more theories? Surely the ancient philosophers and their philosophies were enough.

I do still like to ponder about Existence, but to actually study Philosophy...*shudders* Too much thinking and too little action. In a way, Stephen Hawking was right to say that philosophy is obsolete. Isn't it time to stop formulating theories and actually do something?