the reader in a quiet corner

hi, i'm ceecee. my reading interests can be described as eclectic.

The Unbearable Lightness of Being - Milan Kundera, Michael Henry Heim I liked the ideas presented in this book, of God and shit, of animals and Paradise, of bodies and souls, of his idea of reincarnation. If the copy I read was my own, it would have been filled with underlines.

I couldn't like the writing. It was so...cerebral. As if I was reading a textbook for social sciences. Granted, it really isn't a textbook, but I think it would make for a good discussion among intellectuals, or if you happened to be studying the history of the Czech Republic. I like reading textbooks myself, but I don't read every page and every word, and just like with a textbook, there are only parts - very few parts - that I enjoyed in The Unbearable Lightness of Being.

I don't like to ponder very much over a book these days. All I want is to escape, be entertained, be inspired by writing. This book doesn't have a clear-cut plot, various ideas are forced down on you, and the characters are in no way sympathetic to me (except maybe Tereza's relationship with her dog). It wasn't made to entertain. It was made as a vehicle to show the author's philosophies, and to make you think. And because it's one of the 1000-books-you-must-read-before-you-die, it kinda drives you even more to think - Why this book is a must read? What are its merits? What really is the deal with the bowler hat? I don't want to go there.

2.5 stars This just wasn't my cup of tea, though I can glimpse its brilliance, and why some people would decide this book a must-read.