the reader in a quiet corner

hi, i'm ceecee. my reading interests can be described as eclectic.

Shiver - Maggie Stiefvater There were a lot of things I didn't like and yet, despite its being emo-ish, fluffy, the amount of suspension of belief I needed, and the baffling ending, I liked it.

See, I love well-written novels. Shiver has either been criticized or loved for its "purple prose", a term I did not know existed until goodreads (thanks, goodreads). I guess it's all down to a person's preference, and I'm a sucker for the kind of prose Stiefvater used.

Even though Meyer's and Stiefvater's werewolves aren't your typical Remus Lupin werewolves, I criticize it not. I heard that S already had her idea of Shiver before Twilight, so it's still original. I love fluffy animals even if they are predators. I would love to have a tiger as a pet, but a wolf is fine. (Can I have a direwolf?) Stiefvater's take on wolves is an interesting one. And I wouldn't blame Grace for falling in love with a wolf.

Also, I don't mind the whole illogical how-they-fell-in-love-slash-insta-love going on here. Love is illogical. And I was in the mood for some romance. Nothing's wrong with a little love at first sight. Here's what Ms Stiefvater has to say to cynics out there:

"That is just so romantic. Do me a favor, and don’t you two ever change. The world needs more love at first sight."

I, for one, am longing for that one person to come along and share my everything with, but you know, that's just a notion. Sure, I didn't like it when Grace somehow forgot about her school life and friends when Sam came along, but chalk it up to the "honeymoon phase". I actually removed a star from my original rating for Grace's sometimes annoying behavior. Upon further reflection, I decided that I did mind that Grace was too in love to care about her life in general. Love at first sight? Fine. Ditching your responsibilities? Not fine.

The one person that I really did like was Isabel (Isobel...Isabelle? I'm bad with names). I loved her, so mean-girlsy type but down-to-earth. I'll be looking forward to reading about her in [b:Linger|6654313|Linger (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #2)|Maggie Stiefvater|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1292482391s/6654313.jpg|6848948].

And I did mention the baffling ending, right? How could Isabel's brother die, and Sam live? Here's a perfectly three-dimensional antagonist/possible anti-hero and he dies. I really hoped he would become human again..that's all he wanted. There's no choice for me but to read the next book! Nice move, Stiefvater.

This is a quiet, romance-driven story, so if you're looking for action, suspense, or whatever it is, this is not the book for you.

3.5 stars This did remind me of Twilight, I can't help it. But it was written so much better, and for that, it is redeemed.