the reader in a quiet corner

hi, i'm ceecee. my reading interests can be described as eclectic.

Fly on the Wall: How One Girl Saw Everything - E. Lockhart This was exactly the kind of light reading I needed while I sludged through the grand book that is [b:Dune|234225|Dune|Frank Herbert|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1349105964s/234225.jpg|3634639].

Meet Gretchen Yee, a relatively ordinary girl in a school where everyone is "different" and everyone is "special". She eats lunch mostly alone now, since her best friend is always busy hanging out with the Art Rats, also she doesn't have the nerve to talk to her crush, Titus. One day she wishes she was a fly in the wall of the boy's locker room, then literally becomes one, and the fun ensues.

I found it funny that most of her schoolmates, in being outspoken in their individuality, lost their individuality. (I actually pride myself in being "different" but in a world where everyone strives to be different - by shocking people - suddenly I don't want to be different. Nonconformity-conformity makes sense to me.)

It is ironically Gretchen who maintains her individuality by sticking to what she loves and who she is. How can you not like a girl who's finally figured out who she is, and decides to live her life? The kind of girl who doesn't just think:

“I love the idea of the big life - the life that matters, the life that makes a difference. The life where stuff happens, where people take action. The opposite of the life where the girl can't even speak to the boy she likes; the opposite of the life where the friends aren't even good friends, and lots of days are wasted away feeling bored and kind of okay, like nothing matters much.”

but actually gets it.

I'm a little dissatisfied with the resolutions, though. Everything was tied up neatly, except for the bullying part. So it doesn't count as a completely happy ending to me.

Overall, *3.5 stars. It was funny and sweet and just feel-good. Perfect for light reading.