the reader in a quiet corner

hi, i'm ceecee. my reading interests can be described as eclectic.

Dune  - Frank Herbert At last, I finished this grand novel! The incredible world-building alone deserves 5+ stars, but in the end, I can only bestow 3.5 stars based on my reading experience.

Honestly, if you like to immerse yourself in a completely different and well-imagined world, you should give Dune a chance. Frank Herbert has managed to think even the agricultural aspect of his desert planet, let alone the political complexities in his interplanetary universe. I have to admit, though I was impressed with how he thought up the political and agricultural aspect of the book, they all went over my head. I can't even begin to understand politics in the real world, let alone in Dune.

What I admired was the religious/mysticism aspect of the novel. Of reading about people responding to superstitions and prophecies, and then finding out there wasn't really mysticism in it, it was all manipulated. Wait, not all. In the end, even Herbert admitted to an "unexpected variable", easily open to speculation. I guess this is what I liked most: the blending of science and mysticism.

Oh, and I almost forgot my utter admiration for the Fremen tribe's(the natives of the Desert Planet) discipline.
“The Fremen were supreme in that quality the ancients called "spannungsbogen" -- which is the self-imposed delay between desire for a thing and the act of reaching out to grasp that thing.”

You see, the Fremen's dream is to see their home planet nurturing plants that thrive, to see "green" in all that dust. But they are well aware that this could not happen not for a hundred years, or even a thousand years. But it's possible. So they live day to day, sacrificing what they could to achieve their dream, for the future, for their children's children. If only everyone on Earth acted like that, eh?

Even though it was a struggle to read, I'm pretty proud of myself for reading this all the way through. Was it worth it? I think so.