the reader in a quiet corner

hi, i'm ceecee. my reading interests can be described as eclectic.

Looking for Alibrandi - Melina Marchetta I would have only given this 4 stars, had the ending not spoken to me at such a point in my life. It's funny how the right book smacks you in the head at just the right time, opening your eyes, making you feel better. Granted, this book wasn't the answer, but it made me think about things for a while. It really got to me. Now I realize that I'm the answer.

To avoid sounding vague, let me just say that I was pretty mad at the world/universe/life. In Josephine Alibrandi's words:
"...Things don't turn out the way you want them to."
Those words can be almost anybody's words. It's true: Life Sucks. Wouldn't things be much easier if things just turned out the way you expected them to?

I know that when the things we want to happen don't happen, it's usually for the better, but I'm still coming to terms with that.

What Looking for Alibrandi essentially left me with is:
"Promise me you'll never stop dreaming."

I always have to remember that.

*4.5 stars Looking for Alibrandi is full of loving characters. I especially loved the character dynamics: Josephine's unexpected relationship with her long-absent father, her development with her grandmother, and her relationship with her boyfriend.

It's made me an official fan of Melina Marchetta.