the reader in a quiet corner

hi, i'm ceecee. my reading interests can be described as eclectic.

The Fault in Our Stars - John Green
I'm in love with you, and I know that love is just a shout into the void, and that oblivion is inevitable, and that we're all doomed and that there will come a day when all our labor has been returned to dust, and I know the sun will swallow the only earth we'll ever have, and I am in love with you.

If I could rate this book based on that quote alone, this would get five solid stars, seven even. But alas, the book was not entirely as august as that quote.

While it was funny at times (to a point), I mean, it is John Green and he is funny in his vlogs, it also sounded kind of pretentious sometimes. Oh, they are two young people wise beyond their years. I'm not averse to precocity in young people in novels. It just didn't seem to work on me in this one. Sometimes I couldn't help but feel that a particular quote was screaming "Quotable quote! This is inspirational! You have to like this!" as if it wasn't obvious enough.

Take for example, "I do not deny myself the pleasure of looking at beautiful people/ saying true things." Like ugh. Queue eye roll. I get Augustus Waters's appeal, but his love for metaphor is not particularly appealing to me. That smoking metaphor, felt a bit contrived. "You put the killing thing right between your teeth, but you don't give it the power to do its killing." Queue another eye roll, please.

I liked a lot of TFioS quotes before I read the book. You come across a really well written quote in Tumblr, and of course you're intrigued which book that came from. Sometimes a quotable quote is only good as a stand alone, sometimes the novel that quote comes from is really nice. When I read some of the quotes that I liked (see added quotes) in context, they didn't seem as good. They only felt affected and manipulative.

*3 stars Sometimes it was written really well, I liked most humorous parts, but at other times felt a little too contrived, so it didn't work for me. As Emily pointed out, John Green's humor didn't balance with the way he philosophized out things through Hazel, Augustus and Isaac, and the messages seemed a little too "inyerface". *shrug*