the reader in a quiet corner

hi, i'm ceecee. my reading interests can be described as eclectic.

Bleak House - Charles Dickens Reread failed. *hangs head in shame*

I remember really liking this as a kid. I had a Charles Dickens phase, courtesy of [b:Matilda|39988|Matilda|Roald Dahl|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1266457161s/39988.jpg|1015554]'s influence. Granted, I only read the abridges versions, but I do remember having been bored by the beginning of Bleak House, but then ended up loving it. Maybe it was because of Esther and Mr Woodcourt's romance.

And now that I've had an unabridged copy, I find I cannot finish this 800-page long novel. With size-5 font size (more or less). Really. Charles Dickens published this in monthly installments between March 1852 and September 1853. It took more than a year. Do you really expect me to read this in, say, a week? I could have. If not for my ever growing and ever tempting TBR Pile.

So I will have to put it on hold. I managed to read 22% of this book, and so far, I really appreciate Dickens's witty writing. It's only now that I've increased my vocabulary and comprehension that I got Dickens's humor. It's filled with diverse characters, with their own backstory, each managing to get to your heart, and their lives intertwine, it's amazing how Dickens wrote it.

For now I will have to satisfy myself with BBC's 2005 adaptation. I must say they stuck to the book (for the most I have read), but nothing beats reading the novel.