the reader in a quiet corner

hi, i'm ceecee. my reading interests can be described as eclectic.

Daughter of Smoke & Bone - Laini Taylor This is the YA Paranormal Romance which should set the bar. I think it truly deserves its popularity. However popular it may be, though, I only ever see one copy of it on bookstore's shelves while the Twilight series and The Mortal Instruments series take up much more space. *Frowny Face*

Granted, I haven't read much from this genre [thanks to Twilight and Hush, Hush] , but dang, if all YA PNRs were written this way, then I would invest a lot of my time reading them.

Here's the thing: Laini Taylor takes all these "elements" from YA PNR, and turns it into this astonishing, dark, word-gasmic fantasy novel. Though there were things I didn't like (the protagonists' utter physical beauty perfection and the insta-love which I thought over the top), the way Taylor writes overweighs all of that. Her humor was effective, the whimsicality alluring, and she used all these fancy words I never knew existed. I have never been more thankful for ColorDict in my life. But the big words weren't put there just to make a paragraph less boring. I'm telling you, this was really well-written.

There has been a lot of YA PNRs involving angels, and to tell the truth, I love that, ever since The Mortal Instruments Trilogy, but then I had to go and read Hush, Hush, leaving a bad taste in my mouth. Daughter of Smoke and Bone has restored my love for angel/demon-lore.

*4.5 stars I contemplated giving this 4 stars. But it actually reminded me of the TMI series, what with the angels and all, and I gave [b:City of Bones|256683|City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1)|Cassandra Clare|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1309277410s/256683.jpg|2267189] (CoB) 5 stars. And that can't happen.

I loved Daughter of Smoke and Bone, and CoB, but for different reasons. While CoB was a fun read, I think Smoke and Bone is so much better.

But I rate books according to my enjoyment of the book, and I've come a long way since CoB. Daughter of Smoke and Bone offers incredible world-building, storytelling and lovely prose. Although, I'm not really sold out with the passionate you-changed-my-life-I-really-love-you-we-were-meant-to-be kind of romance in this book.